Sunday, February 6, 2011

This or that

I had a lot of driving to do this past week, and what better way to keep my mind engaged (and not zoning out) than to think about my piece!

I thought about the possibility of making my piece an installation piece vs. a staged work.

Staged work:
-audience is removed from the piece, harder to relate or get involved
+the work is "framed" by the stage situation like my original media are
+more lighting control: I have the option to reveal through flash only, and to fade in/out
+/- 2D audience view, unless I use live video feed walking the perimeter
+more control of environment setup (but may be difficult to transport for Symposium performance)

Installation piece:
-where to put it? what place seems appropriate?
-less light control, I take what I get
+audience can be VERY involved, can have them be photographer
+/- 3D audience view, but will they walk around as I'd hope?
+ audience can engage the piece from within as an installed environment when not performing
- concerns of getting proper and not passing attention for the piece if it's a "lobby" work
-difficulty with transportation and setup of the environment

So you can see why I might be torn with the benefits and concerns each brings. Basically, I guess as an installation, I can do more with audience involvement, but face certain logistical difficulties. Neta is gearing for the novelty of an installed work, but I really don't know where I'd like it to go. I guess in the process of writing this out, I'm leaning towards a staged work as usual. Well, that helps I think!


I also considered the photographer's role... I'm getting in touch with a student who wants to work with dance and photography, so I can have a solid person on this soon, hopefully. But I've also considered having audience members or guest photographers rotate in for each performance or within a given performance to show different perspectives.

For rehearsal tomorrow, I hope to expand our vocabulary and (pray pray) maybe we'll have another dancer if anyone's found a friend to join to make it a fuller cast. I'd love to have three dancers to possibly represent the SAM dimensions. Or even five to each personify an individual categorical basic emotion! With a successful first showing, maybe it'll be easier to find interest...

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm glad to have constructive feedback to benefit my project.