Friday, February 18, 2011

Rehearsal and meeting our photographer!

Another good rehearsal: we learned phrases that I created while watching Rainer's Trio A, and developed them into a way of moving through a labyrinth that we created with tape on the floor. I have some video from when we stood gym mats up as blocks towards the end- choices I experimented with included taking cues and inspiration from the other dancer, and when traveling could occur. I may post some of this video. What I really enjoyed was seeing the movement take so well- I hadn't put much into it, as it came from selecting bits of a 10-minute improv, but love the look of it as the three of us moved together. It's something I'm eager to mold to the choices and layering I'm beginning to make.

After rehearsal, I sat outside in the sun and began writing out a sort of storyline that got me really excited (to be posted soon). It's unfinished because I was actually waiting to meet with our photographer, L., and we had a good time sharing our interests! She showed me some of her work, including ideas that I've also experimented with like the blurring of movement. She asked what I imagined her role being, and at this point, I see her as moving from the fringe of the piece to within its center, and possibly becoming a dancer within the movement towards the end. In her photography, I want to see what draws her more trained eye before I begin defining things- my plan is to offer challenges and make choices along the way like I do with the dancers. In this way, I hope we can begin to feed on each others' creativity to build things up and make the most of this photography opportunity.

The timing doesn't work out to have L at our regular rehearsals, but fortunately I work with awesome people who are willing to meet at other times to make it possible to rehearsa all together some. It works out fine that way, as much of the rehearsal time won't need L present anyway- I want her role to be fresh, and not to wear her out with the same subject all the time anyway. Her role is more in the performances and some particular rehearsal opportunities that I'll choose for prep purposes. I was really glad to hear how excited she is to be part of our piece, and it's going to be great to have her as a resource and member of the "company!"


Note to self: post the videos of the Trio A response phrases for dancers

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm glad to have constructive feedback to benefit my project.