Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Working Title Idea

It's funny how you're not saying things out loud to me.

A little wordy, but just try it on for size... That phrase came along ot me in a bizzare way. Via my coat pocket specifically, on a long folded shred of paper towel and in my handwriting. But I had no memory of how it got there! It was the oddest feeling, before I recognized my handwriting, trying to figure out WHEN it was from, and WHO wrote that to me and why... or when I did recognize it, who I wrote it for, why it was in my pocket and not theirs, and again, WHY was it written? Then I decided I don't really want to know those answers! (Unfortunately, new clues have told me it came from a paper towel at home. I hope not to recall more than this.)

I immediately took the urge to take that little slip of paper seriously, maybe because of the mood I was in when I found it and the personal little crisis that I'm relating it to based on that... but I think it can be applied here. In this dance, we won't be explicit- I imagine we're going to work ourselves to communicating and sharing emotions in a roundabout and clearly nonverbal way. I didn't find amusement in the phrase "it's funny" the first time I read it, instead my stomach dropped as I pressed on to finish the first reading. As I looked at it more, it gathered more dimensions as I hope this dance will. I realized I may have actually been amused when writing it. But there's also a sense of exclusion that touches me. Like the first showing of this piece, there is some confusion as to what it all means, what the feelings behind this are, how it relates to us. Maybe it's silly to give it that kind of weight, but who's to deny something that seems to fit, when something that somehow fits is just what I could use. It feels relevant to my personal processes that relate to the subject of this dance on emotions.

I might decide against it later, but for now, I'm going to see how I like the fit.

1 comment:

  1. Yeahhh... dumped that working title in favor of another: Common Phenomena. This relates less to this particular piece at the moment, and more to the one in the first Unshowing which is a structure that I imagine returning to (with different emotions through similar movements).
    Oh, titles- I'm only making them up at this point because I feel like I'm supposed to be. The piece actually doesn't have a name at this point; I'll name it when I'm good and ready. I've considered a variety of more or less psych-inspired ones like +affect and -affect, or Bridges I and II (bridging parts of our experience and social bridges created through emotion)... eh. It's not final yet.

    I haven't recorded much on our recent rehearsals, but there's a lot of material that was shown this past Monday, and I'm getting lots of helpful feedback. More on that soon!

    ReplyDelete

I'm glad to have constructive feedback to benefit my project.