Friday, September 10, 2010

Communication as meaning-creating

"From a transactional perspective, human communicating is a process of meaning-creating rather than idea- or message-sending. When you're communicating, you're not transmitting your ideas to others but evoking their own ideas or meanings."
-John Stewart in "Listening"

I like this quote because it is as relevant to dance as it is to verbal communication. One of the premises of this dance project is that our dance communications call to the mind of the receiver associations to which they attach meaning, just as our verbal language does, and much like the CSEA stimulus collections do.

Other sources influencing me in this area lately include a New York Times article on the book "Through the Language Glass," this other Times article on how language affects our thinking, and studying for my Listening class (joy).

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm glad to have constructive feedback to benefit my project.