Thursday, April 14, 2011

by the way...

By the way, world- I realized I haven't mentioned the outcome of my nervous waiting to hear from my top grad school! I got in! I'll be returning to UF for its Counselor Education program next year to study Mental Health Counseling :D I also got a grad position with Housing, so I can look forward to continuing my exciting involvement there. I'm hoping to record all the good grad things to come at another blog (maybe these are addictive?)

Other thoughts include my total appreciation for the inclusiveness of the dancers I've spent the last few years with. I love being an honorary dance major- it warms the cookies of my heart how they always include me where I wouldn't assume to be included. In bows at tonight's show, they welcomed me into the line of choreographers, and the line of seniors to be recognized. My solo isn't an established work by a professional choreographer, but they've let me pretend it's on the level of their senior solos by allowing me to include it in the show. I'm realizing how involved I've been as a dance minor, that they look for me to continue to be involved as a grad (I hope so too!), and that they welcome me to their functions like the department potluck. The minors who are stage hands for their independent study were asking me about how I'm in the show when they found out I'm a minor too, and it made me see how unusual my involvement is. It's rare for any one but a major to take Comp classes to the highest level or to perform a solo in the showcase. I can't say how much I appreciate the warmth and encouragement with which this department has allowed me to do all these things, and has actively encouraged my growth with dance. I look forward to continuing to dance with these people as much as I'm able as a grad student. Yet another perk to getting into UF's program :)

Finally, a great quote I came across while doing education homework tonight: The cultivation of imagination is not a utopian aspiration (Eisner).

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm glad to have constructive feedback to benefit my project.