Monday, January 24, 2011

Rehearsal Mon Jan 24

Today I read sentences from the ANET, asking my dancers to free-associate by writing words in colored pencils on a sheet of sketchbook paper. Then I read the words as one of them interpreted the other's phrases/words into movement, and the dancer who had written the words took photos of that process. I asked for photos that abstracted the body, also prompting levels, proximity, silhouettes, and to take photos of "in-between moments". The "Rehearsal Photos" post shows my favorite results.
The goal of this was to do to dance what the stimuli do to emotional events: flattening, boxing, shortening, and preserving. I'm thinking of presenting a photo series, and even images and sounds along with my actual dance in performances.


The little pieces of paper seen in the photos are a lead I began working with today some. As I was going through the article on the ANET to get the sentences, I was caught by the graph which shows the points of each sentence on "Affective space" of Pleasure and Arousal.


I grabbed a sheet of my sketch paper and tore it into little points that were fun to begin playing with, and I'm hoping to have one more dancer soon to allow my full cast to play in this environment.

And to help me remember later, here's a song I might like to use...

I like its references to both science and emotion, stringing them together in a way that's "fact not fiction, for the first time in years." Sounds perfect for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm glad to have constructive feedback to benefit my project.