Sunday, January 16, 2011

Collapsing it - Expanding it

I was at the exhibit for the Creativity in the Arts and Sciences Event this afternoon, and saw some really neat projects. The best part was I got to hear some of the artists answer questions from the jury about their works. The thought of doing that myself is a little intimidating, personally. But these guys talked about the thoughts behind their work and reminded me of how substance and form fit together by demonstrating and explaining it. As I left, I had some ideas for my own project...

"Make a story- then collapse it...
in time
in space
in individuals
in dimensions"

There's a lot to experiment with there! I came home and used my rehearsal video to experiment with collapsing in time and some of the possibilities for collapsing visual dimensions. I've also been wanting to see about using photography for that- an ultimate for reducing time- and both of these media necessarily collapse 3D to 2D as well. Cropping or limiting scope of vision also happens in each- that's an element I could potentially carry over into the stage. In my movements I can use this idea to an extent, such as collapsing an entire story into limited space or onto a single dancer, taking a trio piece into one person and see how that works.

The video collapses visual dimensions of color, and the watercolor effect abstracts the shape of the body. I liked how when I was working on my computer with the editing, it couldn't run fast enough to show everything, so it skipped parts where it was sped up more. Unfortunately, that fixed in "publishing" but I could recreate that if I want to use media in my final project. I'd push it faster, but Movie Maker can only do this much. The video shows the sped-up collapsed version, and subsequently reveals what was behind this. (I wonder how many media I can do this with. Sounds of the dance would be interesting, though we might not as easily re-imbibe them with meaning as with the visual or verbal.)




The media stimuli take a story and do this collapsing, taking a moment in time from a series of moments. The value and meaning, the expressiveness of that moment derives from our assumption that there is more to it, and our personal subject matter that we associate. That captured, flattened, shortened single experience makes us feel because in out search for meaning we seek in our own resources ways to understand it. We expand it in ourselves, drawing on the limited info of the stimulus, plus our own experiences in perception, life, and feeling.

The CSEA stimuli have been taken from a large collection of individual, unique stories, and in their limited form they are yet able to trigger emotions. The universal value of these media comes form an experience among many, abstracted, and re-personified in each viewer, just as a work of art would function according to Dewey. This is how any emotion is shared: of our diverse experiences, it is communicated by abstractions of expressions of all sorts, represented verbally, in body language, or in other images or symbolic communication- then the receiver re-embodies the emotionality in themselves as they imbibe those symbols with meaning from their own resources.

My thoughts draw on things I've learned from communication, art, psychology of the senses, and both personal and academic learning about emotions. These are all areas I can continue to think of for more depth along these lines.

While at the event I had begun to wonder whether my project would have the scientific tint that I'd originally imagined. Then, like a modern dancer asking "what is really dance" I began to question where the line is between arts with vs. without scientific influence. Dances I would not have originally thought of as having scientific inspiration were shown in the event- and I began to see elements of science where I had not before by thinking of them in that way. The line blurred, and I can land anywhere along it now. This project was inspired by my experience with the CSEA media, has diverged from my attempts to strictly formulate a work of art to now embrace my individual experiences and perspective, and now I see a way to take advantage of that, perhaps melding the influences of these two fields again.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm glad to have constructive feedback to benefit my project.