Sunday, June 20, 2010

IAPS Emotional Gategories



I found an article that has just what I need! Mikels, Fredrickson, Larkin, and Lindberg (2005) took the IAPS, a dimensional model of emotion, and put it into categories!

The category names were chosen based on a free-response pilot study, and two subsequent studies were run with guided responses, one for negative emotions, and one for positive ones. The results give me 8 examples which were categorized as fear, 12 for sadness, 12 for amusement, 15 for contentment, 20 for awe, and 10 for excitement (excluding mixed and undifferentiated images, and excluding those with gender differences).

Altogether, these emotions seem to correlate with lists I have seen throughout my sources that describe models and ideas of what the basic emotions are. These may be the terms that I end up using for my dances, and I'm sure I'll be drawing from these images for my "stimuli!" Once I get I get in touch with the right people to get the images (which are listed by number in the study's archives), I'll try to post some sample images.

I'm really hoping that I can find similar articles for categorizing the IADS and ANEW!

Resources:
Mikels, J. A., Fredrickson, B. L., Larkin, G. R., & Lindberg, C. M. (2005a).
Mikels, et al.(2005b).
Mikels, et al. (2005c).

2 comments:

  1. AHHH! SO excited- I just found an article that looks at discrete emotions for IADS!

    ReplyDelete
  2. and one for ANEW! Stevensen et al. are my new besties.

    ReplyDelete

I'm glad to have constructive feedback to benefit my project.